The first SAC meeting will be held in the media center on Tuesday, September 2nd at 6:00pm. All stakeholders (including nonmembers) are invited to attend.
NBC Miami Comes to MLK
South Florida Times
Dear Students, Parents, Teachers & Community:
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the 2014-2015 school year! I am excited to serve as Principal of our new school! Affectionately, we are known as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Montessori Academy. We strive to offer educationally enriching and socially supportive programs and activities aimed to instruct the whole child. As a Montessori Academy we offer:
- Multi-aged classrooms (example: K/1 class, 2/3 class, and 4/5 class.)
- Student choice of activities from within a prescribed ability range of the student
- Uninterrupted blocks of work time
- A constructivist or "discovery" model, where students learn concepts from working with materials of interest, rather than by direct teacher instruction
- Specialized educational materials developed by Montessori and her collaborators
- Freedom of movement within the highly structured and organized classroom environment
- A trained Montessori teacher to facilitate learning
With our focus on the Florida Standards, our instructional practices will include increased critical thinking skills, student collaboration, project-based learning activities and writing across all content areas. These practices will engage students at high levels and provide them the skills necessary to compete in a global economy.
An integral part of Montessori education is “parent involvement.” As we prepare for next year, we are asking every parent to get involved in your child's education. Some of the ways parents can get involved are:
- by filling out the volunteer information at www.getinvolvedineducation.com/parents
- by helping with in-class and homework projects
- by building on to the student's interest
- by stressing organizational skills and care for the environment at home
- by volunteering to read and or mentor students
- by getting involved in SAC and PTA
We will collaborate with you, our parents and community partners to offer learning supports that will increase student achievement and assist families to champion their student’s successes. Business partners are encouraged to serve on our School Advisory Counsel (SAC). Parents are encouraged to share in supporting student learning by joining the PTA and volunteering at our school. As a strong community, we can all partner together to create a culture of high expectations and excellence for all our students.
I support our teachers wholeheartedly as they strive to meet the new demands of the Florida Standards and Montessori learning practices. I am proud of their commitment to our student’s success.
With the belief that all students CAN learn to meet high expectations, I will ensure our educational practices will align to produce the desired outcome in student achievement.
Mrs. Cheryl A. Proctor, Ed.S.
“Excellence in teaching will excel student learning”